Author Topic: Eclectic meditations  (Read 25082 times)

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
Re: Eclectic meditations
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
I have nothing to prove, nothing to hide, and nothing to defend against.

InnerSelf.com - Daily Inspiration:

The journey home to our natural capacity for loving is the mythical hero's journey. Our ability to let down our defenses will be tested each time we experience hurt, disappointment, or betrayal; every time we meet someone we don't care to spend time with, every time someone tries to dominate or control us. These are some of the hurdles we will inevitably encounter on the hero's path.

That path, the path of being consciously human, offers us a chance to peel away the layers of social and family conditioning; to burst the illusions that dictate our attempts to be socially acceptable, to be right, to play it safe, and to appear in control; and above all, to free ourselves of the illusions that create our dependency on someone else's love or acceptance in order to feel okay.

As we learn to let down our guard and show up real, whether others love us for our realness or not, we become higher order human beings. We have nothing to prove, nothing to hide, and nothing to defend against. We risk losing favor with others, but in the process discover the love for self and others that has always been at our core.

EXCERPTED FROM the InnerSelf.com article:
Truth in Dating
by Susan M. Campbell, Ph.D.

TO READ MORE of this excerpt, go to
http://innerself.com/content/articles/relationships/dating/5909-truth-in-dating-by-susan-m-campbell-phd.html
AOL click here

InnerSelf.com - Book of the day:

Finding Inner Courage
by Mark Nepo.

Mark Nepo invites readers to explore their own inner core through the stories of ordinary people, political activists, artists, spiritual teachers from a variety of traditions. These are people who have faced themselves, their warts and weaknesses. Mark's insights and commentary are spot on, and help readers relate the stories of others to their own lives. The late Howard Zinn said of this book, "A poetic, profoundly thoughtful rumination on how we might live."

For more info or to order this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573245313/innerselfcom
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anis Nin~

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »
As one goes through life, one learns that if you don't paddle your own canoe, you don't move.
--Katharine Hepburn

Newcomer

I appreciate the fact that you remain friendly and even-tempered even though I don't always follow your advice.

Sponsor

Friends can disagree without having to end their relationship. I might have trouble sponsoring someone who never attends meetings, someone who has frequent relapses, or someone who complains about his or her problems without ever being willing to attempt the Steps. But occasional disagreements are a part of life.

A sponsor's suggestions aren't commands, any more than the Twelve Steps are. As a sponsor, I only make suggestions; even though they're based on my experience, I'm not always right about what will work for another person. And I may misjudge what another person's timetable is. I'm not infallible. I try not to let my ego get in the way, to feel hurt or angry when you need to try something on your own. Learning to make your own decisions is necessary to growth.

Each of us makes his or her own way through the process of recovery. We learn more from our own experiences, good and bad, than from anything we read in a book or hear at a meeting.

Today, I learn from my experience.

You are reading from the book:

If You Want What We Have by Joan Larkin

www.hazelden.org

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
I take responsibility for communicating what I want, need, and mean.

People often have the unrealistic notion that if somebody really loves you, he knows all you want, need, or mean without your having to clarify it.

Since human beings are generally not telepathic, this does not usually occur.

If you take responsibility for communicating what you want, need, and mean, you avoid unnecessary disappointments and misunderstandings..

Notes On Intimacy
by Shepherd Hoodwin.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/relationships/intimacy/4520-notes-on-intimacy-by-shepherd-hoodwin.html
AOL click here

The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life
by Mark Nepo.

Poet and teacher Mark Nepo encourages readers to become quiet enough and open enough to listen to what truly matters — our own hearts, our loved ones, the wonders of nature — in order to live a life with nothing held back. In rich, lyrical prose, Mark shares his own spiritual path, including a battle with illness that helped him understand how only by daring to embrace all that life has to offer can we come to a deeper appreciation of its meaning and beauty.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0307335844/innerselfcom

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Formula for failure; trying to please everyone.
--Anonymous

It has done us no good to set standards we could not reach. On many occasions, we adopted goals that couldn't be reached from the beginning. We allowed our identities to become tied in with pleasing people. If we suffered rejection, we collapsed into a quivering heap. Each time we wrapped ourselves up in a package for someone to pass judgment on, we set ourselves up for failure.

We know we are not God. We must realize no other human being is God, either. We can't ask any person to judge us. We can't judge anyone else. The foundation of our Program is the decision we made in Step Three to turn our wills and lives over to the care of God. This is the formula for success. Try pleasing God, not other people.

I can't build my life and recovery on always trying to please others. My road to success is pleasing my Higher Power.

Easy Does It by Anonymous

www.hazelden.org

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
I am willing to let others see into the innermost part of my being.

Intimacy is something we all yearn for, yet are somehow deeply afraid of. Someone once said that intimacy is spelled into-me-see. Thinking it of it that way sheds light on why it frightens us.

Intimacy implies 100% honesty, and that is probably why it is absent from a lot of relationships. Intimacy is more than intimate bodies... it needs also to include intimacy of mind and spirit. Even the word intimacy refers to the blending of the inner. It is defined as "innermost", "private". It refers to letting others see into the innermost part of our selves.

Letting someone see into us when we are afraid of letting them see our hidden "faults and foibles" can be frightening. How can we be intimate with someone when we are trying to "look good", trying to appear "perfect", trying to appear to be the person of their dreams? How can we be intimate when we have something to hide?

Intimacy
by Marie T. Russell.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/relationships/intimacy/6052-intimacy-by-marie-t-russell.html
AOL click here

The Seven Levels of Intimacy: The Art of Loving and the Joy of Being Loved
by Matthew Kelly.

We all crave the heartwarming, incomparable connection of intimacy. But oftentimes, this complete, unrestrained sharing of ourselves is too daunting a task. Now, in The Seven Levels of Intimacy, Matthew Kelly explains step by step how to move beyond our fears and experience the power of true intimacy. By achieving each of Kelly's seven levels, we can understand and gain confidence in our partners and ourselves until we are fully able to experience love, commitment, trust, and happiness.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743265122/innerselfcom

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
My intuition provides me with information without any emotion attached.

I want you to think about what fear feels like. It's usually located in the stomach area, and it has a strong energy to it -- it's that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that spreads quickly throughout your whole body.

Sometimes people mistake this feeling with intuition because they're both located in the same area, but this feeling does not indicate your intuition.

Intuition does not have any emotion attached to it. It simply gives us information..

Afraid of Being Psychic?
by Echo Bodine.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/miscellaneous/intuition/4840-afraid-of-being-psychic.html
AOL click here

The Gift: Understand and Develop Your Psychic Abilities
by Echo Bodine.

For over 35 years, best-selling author and popular workshop leader Echo Bodine has been using her psychic powers to help people gain clarity and find healing. Now she presents an accessible guide to understanding and exploring one’s own psychic abilities. The book begins by dispelling common myths about psychics and defining the four psychic gifts. It offers self-protection techniques and readers also learn four basic exercises for accessing the “third eye.”

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1577312058/innerselfcom

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
Seeing the good.

The beauty of our souls shines in many ways. The greatest of these is love.

In the spirit of loving kindness, every day a little ugliness is removed; our perspective on life grows broader and deeper.

In the spirit of love, our lives become fresher, our souls humbler; evil seems to disappear, and we learn to distinguish sinner from the sin.

Do I see the good in people?

Higher Power, let me walk in your love and see the good in all things.

Day by Day - Second Edition by Anonymous

www.hazelden.org

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy the type of misery you can live with.
-- Ziggy

We think to ourselves, "Wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about the washer breaking down?" "Wouldn't it be nice to drive a reliable car?" "Wouldn't it be nice to take a Caribbean vacation every year?" "Wouldn't it be nice not to have to work?" If we had money, we think, at least we wouldn't have to worry so much and could live comfortably.

True. Money buys external comfort - plush couches and chairs, luxury cars, beautiful environments. Money buys what comforts and soothes us on the outside. And, if we're going to be miserable anyway, why not do it in comfort?

We remember that regardless of our surroundings, misery is misery. Unless we have the right attitude, we'll find something wrong with whatever we have or don't have. When we work on improving our inner world - on alleviating the real cause of our misery - we know true comfort. We know serenity.

Today I know that the better I get, the richer I become.

Letting Go of Debt by Karen Casanova

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
Things work out. Don't worry.... It'll all work out.

During a recent loss, my friend Mark said to me, "Now is the time to get in touch with that which is Eternal. Feel the sun on your face. Be with the mountains, the ocean, the trees." Walk in nature. It helps us to connect with that which goes on and on beyond our mortal preconceptions.

I learned there is no loss of love in the universe. The body may die, but never the soul. The essence of being, the spirit, goes on. And where there has once been love, there always will be love. Always. Love goes on and on and on.

I remembered my grandmother's words -- "If I could give you one gift, it would be the gift not to worry. Things work out. Don't worry.... It'll all work out."

A Most Magnificent Journey
by Randy Peyser.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/spirituality/death-a-dying/4246-a-most-magnificent-journey-by-randy-peyser.html
AOL click here

Life Is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally
by Patti Digh.

In October 2003, Patti Digh’s stepfather was diagnosed with lung cancer. He died 37 days later. The timeframe made an impression on her. What emerged was a commitment to ask herself every morning: What would I be doing today if I had only 37 days left to live? The answers changed her life and led to this new kind of book: 37 edgy, funny, and literary life stories, each followed by a “do it now” 10-minute exercise as well as a practice to try for 37 days — and perhaps the rest of your life.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1599212951/innerselfcom

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
My life is a series of defining moments.

A thought or decision can certainly redefine our direction in life and in love. There's a lesson in every experience. However, one usually doesn't figure out the lesson until well after the experience.

Some people have to live with the knowledge that only after losing someone did they truly realize what they had. Or how about the choices we make that we feel are best for us, or when we consciously decide to do something only to later realize we chose wrong.

What is a "defining moment"? I describe it as a point in time where one gains clarity about something that has long eluded them, when one consciously chooses to do something or stop, or when something becomes so obvious as the nose on our face. There is no set course for when we reach these places in our lives. They appear almost "out of the blue". The funny thing is that when we have these moments we usually say to ourselves, what were we thinking?.

A Defining Moment
by Tracie Ann Robinson.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/personal-growth/behavior-modification/testimonials/4976-a-defining-moment.html
AOL click here

Choosing Easy World: A Guide to Opting Out of Struggle and Strife and Living in the Amazing Realm Where Everything is Easy
by Julia Rogers Hamrick.

Contrary to what we've believed, life does not have to be hard. And it was never intended to be! Choosing Easy World explores the concept that we can access a place where everything works out effortlessly, harmoniously, and in support of our highest possibilities for well-being. Woven throughout with powerful personal stories of opting into Easy World with remarkable results, Choosing Easy World provides readers with inspiration, instructions, and support for doing so themselves. 

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312623631/innerselfcom

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
One has to grow up with good talk in order to form the habit of it.
--Helen Hayes

Our habits, whatever they may be, were greatly influenced, if not wholly formed, during childhood. We learned our behavior through imitation - imitation of our parents, our siblings, and our peer group. But we need not be stuck in habits that are unhealthy. The choice to create new patterns of behavior is ours to make - every moment, every hour, every day. However, parting with the old pattern in order to make way for the new takes prayer, commitment, and determination.

All of us who share these Steps have broken away from old patterns. We have chosen to leave liquor and pills alone. We may have chosen to leave unhealthy relationships. And we are daily choosing to move beyond our shortcomings. But not every day is a successful one. Our shortcomings have become ingrained. Years of pouting, or lying, or feeling fearful, or overeating, or procrastinating beckon to us; the habit invites itself.

We can find strength from the program and one another to let go of the behavior that stands in the way of today's happiness. And we can find in one another a better, healthier behavior to imitate.

The program is helping me to know there is a better way, every day, to move ahead. I am growing up again amidst the good habits of others and myself.

Each Day a New Beginning by Karen Casey

www.hazelden.org

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »
Miracles take us beyond the limitations of our thinking.

For decades, a rash of literature has shown how easy it is to create miraculous health, wealth, and happiness by following the simplest of formulas or techniques. Many wonderful books have taught us the value of affirmations and visualization, of practicing meditation and yoga, of positive thinking and prayer. Popular movies like What the Bleep Do We Know?! and The Secret make “the Law of Attraction” look like an easy way to have everything we want.

And it really is that easy…except, of course, when it’s not, when no amount of affirmation or visualization techniques will budge life circumstances that feel hopelessly out of our control. Too often the practices of spiritual healing or intentional manifestation keep our focus on the presence of dis-ease or on a lack of something in our lives.

Miracles may include healings and manifestations, but they take us beyond our needs, beyond our wants, and beyond the limitations of our thinking. They’re such a direct experience of God energy that they change us; they don’t simply produce a result on demand. Miracles can result in all kinds of lovely manifestations but they’re more than these end products. Miracles are always rooted in love, the love of God that transforms us and makes all things possible..

Do You Believe in Miracles?
by Lynn Woodland.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/spirituality/metaphysics/6902-do-you-believe-in-miracles.html
AOL click here

Holding a Butterfly — An Experiment in Miracle-Making
by Lynn Woodland.

"Holding a Butterfly" is about consciousness, time, quantum science and God, all woven into a series of practical, personal experiments in miracle-making. It goes far beyond current teachings on the law of attraction and will sweep you up in a collaborative experiment that pushes all the boundaries of human potential. It's sure to boggle your mind, touch your heart, and forever change reality as you've known it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1450742564/innerselfcom

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »
I am attentive to the present, and experience the present moment fully.

Whatsoever you are doing -- eating, taking a bath, standing under a shower -- just be attentive. But what is the problem? The problem is that we do everything with the mind, and we are planning continuously for the future. You may be traveling in a train, but your mind may be arranging other journeys; programming, planning. Stop this.

One Zen monk, Bokuju, has said, "This is the only meditation I know. While I eat, I eat. While I walk, I walk. And while I feel sleepy, I sleep. Whatsoever happens, happens. I never interfere."

That's all there is -- don't interfere. And whatsoever happens, allow it to happen; you be simply there. "Wherever your attention alights, at this very point, experience."

Developing Attention
by Osho.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/spirituality/meditation/awareness/6183-developing-attention-by-osho.html
AOL click here

Innocence, Knowledge, and Wonder: What Happened to the Sense of Wonder I Felt as a Child? (Paperback with DVD)
by Osho.

Innocence, Knowledge, and Wonder, looks to each person's last state of innocence--childhood--to recover the ability to truly be curious. Osho discusses why it is important to look to our "inner child" and how it can help you understand the person you have become.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/031259545X/innerselfcom

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »
Overachieving may be symptomatic.

Suffering from low self-esteem is common. Some of it may be blamed on growing up in families affected by alcohol or other drugs. Perhaps the criticism heaped on us at school or in a bad marriage triggered it. We may have thousands of reasons for lacking a sense of our worth. The bottom line is, we were insecure and full of doubt - good breeding ground for the superstar achiever.

The program is spiritually based, and in it we are introduced to a Higher Power. Many of us didn't have one before, at least not one we relied on, to help us feel better about ourselves. We are learning to turn to our Higher Power every day for peaceful assurance that we are loved, that we are being taken care of. In time we'll grow to love ourselves, and then we'll be free of the need to overachieve.

I will accept my worthiness today and trust that my Higher Power has something wonderful in store for me.

A Life of My Own by Karen Casey

Offline grateful2bfree

• dedicated to recovery
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »
I choose to find beauty and good wherever I go...

The game of life is won by finding beauty and good wherever we go, no matter what opinion or appearances would indicate. Everything is potentially sacred or profane, depending on how we think about it. As Shakespeare said, "thinking makes it so".

Free will means that we may choose our viewing point on the universe and live in the world our view has generated. Everyone's garden has both weeds and flowers. We all have things about us that could be used for condemnation or redemption.

Nothing is any one way, and everything is a matter of viewing point. We make or break our lives with our thoughts. Yet God is in everything, and we find God if we look.

Beyond Right & Wrong
by Alan Cohen.

http://innerself.com/content/articles/spirituality/testimonials/6649-beyond-right-wrong.html
AOL click here

Create A World That Works: Tools for Personal and Global Transformation
by Alan Seale.

Create A World That Works shows how you and I, every one of us, can transform to be the architects of the world we can now create. Read it, and be the change we all need in the world. -- Ervin Lazszlo, author of Chaos Point 2012 and Beyond.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578634970/innerselfcom