Author Topic: Hitting bottom...  (Read 1884 times)

Offline CD

• NA Literature Collector , Domestic Enginner
  • Administrator
  • Together We Can !!!
Re: Hitting bottom...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »
   I knew I had hit bottom , when I had no where to go ,no money,no job,no clean clothes,I'd sleep were ever I landed ,even in a Salvation Army box a few times.I had no friends , except one other addict.It really sucked living like that.My family didn't want to see me or have anything to do with me.I had burn't every bridge I knew of.Finally I started an uphill climb , got a job as a construction labor,my boss had a farm,I'd shower out in the barn,there was a stable persons room.I stayed in it.Eventually I met my wife ,moved in with her,got out of area I used in.It still was not easy the uphill climb.It took me most of my adult life to get clean,find the rooms and learn a new way of life.I know I don't want to live at the bottom of the hole again. 
Being stuck way up north I read literature do service in my area,region,and homegroup.New friends new ways of life.Left old friend out there same old story they have .Like helping newcomers , I was one once,have to give back what was freely given to me .

Offline Basic Rex

• Global Moderator
    • navoices.com
Hitting bottom...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
"How do you know when you've hit bottom?
When you stop digging."

For years I was driven by an obsession to use. In the beginning I tried to control it, but after a while it had complete control of me. Addiction took me to a deep emotional, spiritual and physical bottom, and only when I surrendered to this program did I begin to recover.

In recovery I've found that the obsessive thinking of this disease is still with me, and there have been other areas in which I've hit a bottom. In early recovery the obsessive thinking often took me down, and when I finally did let go there were usually deep claw marks in whatever it was that I was releasing.

One of the gifts of my recovery is that I've learned that I have the choice of when to stop digging. When my obsessive thinking starts, I now have tools I can use to be restored to sanity. By turning my thinking over to my Higher Power, sharing my thoughts in meetings, with my sponsor or others, I avoid the old bottoms and can live a much freer life. How do I know when I've hit bottom today? When I choose to stop digging!