Author Topic: Always better than I think I is  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Slice

• Administrator
  • Cant save your face and your ass at the same time.
    • navoices.com Welcome to WEcovery!
Always better than I think I is
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
Overheard at a meeting - 'How are you?' 'Probably a lot better than I think.'"

When I first heard this, it resonated deep inside. What a perfect and accurate way to answer a question I get asked so many times a day. And isn't it true? Most of the time I walk around with a completely distorted picture of how I'm doing and what's going on in my life. It's often hard to distinguish between my thoughts about my life and the reality of it.

For me, this quote reminds me that my thinking is still driven by the disease of addiction. My head rarely tells me the truth; instead it's busy painting dark scenarios and building cases against why and how things won't work out. It's no wonder I used so much.

One of the gifts of recovery is that I have tools I can use to step outside my thinking. I've recognized now that my disease rarely leads me to anything positive or hopeful, and when I find that it has taken my thoughts down a path I haven't approved, I gently bring it back. Today I only have to clearly look at things as they are - not as I think they are. When I do that, I know the truth - things are a lot better than I think.