Author Topic: "The monkey may be off my back, but the circus hasn't left town yet."  (Read 3233 times)

Offline CD

• NA Literature Collector , Domestic Enginner
  • Administrator
  • Together We Can !!!
 8) 8) 8)  I know the term monkey off your back means you have got rid of addiction.But the monkey is in your head for life he never leaves all the way,he is a stubborn monkey,needs a good boot in the ass.   8) 8) 8)
Being stuck way up north I read literature do service in my area,region,and homegroup.New friends new ways of life.Left old friend out there same old story they have .Like helping newcomers , I was one once,have to give back what was freely given to me .

Offline Slice

• Administrator
  • Cant save your face and your ass at the same time.
    • navoices.com Welcome to WEcovery!
"The monkey may be off my back, but the circus hasn't left town yet."
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »
"The monkey may be off my back, but the circus hasn't left town yet."

Once I had about 6 months of recovery, I began to feel as if my addiction was finally beginning to be manageable - I didn't crave it all the time, it didn't drive me as it once had, and I found myself thinking more about the steps, my life and the work ahead. The monkey was off my back.

But that didn't mean the circus of my life had left town. With the monkey gone, and my focus now redirected, I was confronted with the damage, the wreckage and the 'circus' of my life and my affairs. What a mess! I felt as if the different areas of my life were like separate Big Top tents - each with its own wild circus act going on, and all out of control. How was I ever to deal with it all?

One day at a time, that's how. One of the most valuable lessons I learned early on was that I hadn't created this mess in a day, and I couldn't fix it in a day, but one day at a time, with God's help, I could be honest, clean house, and sanity would return. And if did.

Today I'm happy to report that the circus, the monkey and all the ringleaders have left town. It's peaceful here now, and boy am I grateful.